Chinese nuclear-powered attack submarine sank earlier this year, says senior US defence official
A series of satellite images from Planet Labs from June appear to show cranes at the Wuchang shipyard, where the submarine would have been docked.
In short:
China's newest nuclear-powered attack submarine sank earlier this year, according to a senior US defence official.
A series of satellite images from Planet Labs from June appear to show cranes at the Wuchang shipyard, where the submarine would have been docked.
What's next?
China's submarine force is expected to grow to 65 by 2025 and 80 by 2035, the US Department of Defense has said.
A senior US defence official has said that China's newest nuclear-powered attack submarine sank earlier this year, marking a potential embarrassment for Beijing as it seeks to expand its military capabilities.
China already has the largest navy in the world, with over 370 ships, and it has embarked on production of a new generation of nuclear-armed submarines.
The US defence official, speaking on condition of anonymity on Thursday, local time, said China's new first-in-class nuclear-powered attack submarine sank alongside a pier sometime between May and June.
The sinking of the Chinese submarine was first reported by the Wall Street Journal.
A Chinese embassy spokesperson in Washington said they had no information to provide.
"We are not familiar with the situation you mentioned and currently have no information to provide," the Chinese official said.
The US defence official said it was not clear what caused it to sink or whether it had nuclear fuel on board at the time.
"In addition to the obvious questions about training standards and equipment quality, the incident raises deeper questions about the PLA's internal accountability and oversight of China's defence industry — which has long been plagued by corruption," the official said, using an acronym for the People's Liberation Army.
"It's not surprising that the PLA Navy would try to conceal the sinking," the official added.
Speaking on Friday, Taiwan Defence Minister Wellington Koo said authorities "have a grasp of the situation through multiple intelligence and surveillance methods", but did not elaborate.
Taiwan, which China views as its own territory, keeps a close watch on the latter's military activities.
In June, pictures appeared online of a Chinese nuclear submarine surfacing in the Taiwan Strait near Taiwan fishermen.
The sinking of the Chinese submarine was first reported by the Wall Street Journal.
A series of satellite images from Planet Labs from June appear to show cranes at the Wuchang shipyard, where the submarine would have been docked.
As of 2022, China had six nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines, six nuclear-powered attack submarines and 48 diesel-powered attack submarines, according to a Pentagon report on China's military.
That submarine force is expected to grow to 65 by 2025 and 80 by 2035, the US Department of Defense has said.
On Wednesday, China said it had successfully conducted a rare launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile into the Pacific Ocean, a move likely to raise international concerns about the country's nuclear build-up.
The United States and China held high-level commander talks for the first time earlier this month amid efforts to stabilise military ties and avoid misunderstandings, especially in regional hot spots such as the South China Sea.
Reuters
By:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09-27/one-of-china-submarine-sank-says-us-defence-official/104406362(责任编辑:admin)
下一篇:Jim Chalmers is the first Australian treasurer to visit Beijing in 7 years. Here are the key takeaways from his meetings
US election live: Donald
US election: Harris admit
Live updates: Donald Trum
Rio Tinto wants Serbia
Matildas beat Germany for
Donald Trump or Kamala Ha
- ·From Harris to Trump to Clinton, these
- ·Donald Trump is allowed to be Trump —
- ·New Zealand beats India 3-0 in Test ser
- ·Iga Świątek wins at WTA Finals in fir
- ·Thousands of troops to be sent to Valen
- ·Israel denies responsibility for drone
- ·Donald Trump could win the election, de
- ·US election live: Donald Trump alleges
- ·From Harris to Trump to Clinton, these ar
- ·Donald Trump is allowed to be Trump — b
- ·New Zealand beats India 3-0 in Test serie
- ·Iga Świątek wins at WTA Finals in first
- ·Thousands of troops to be sent to Valenci
- ·Israel denies responsibility for drone st
- ·Donald Trump could win the election, desp
- ·US election live: Donald Trump alleges po
- ·Moldovan government accuses Russia of
- ·How the US Electoral College can turn a l
- ·One of Vietnam's high-profile politi
- ·Shanghai Walmart Attack: A Man Randomly S
- ·South Korean police officers jailed over
- ·Cambodia publicly shames maid deported af
- ·North Korea to use all forces including n
- ·Philippines condemns China attack of Viet
- ·US adds 2 more Chinese companies to Uyghu
- ·North Korean defector steals South Korean
- ·Malaysia deports Cambodian worker for cal
- ·Rebels battle for Myanmar junta’s weste