Elon Musk sued by Philadelphia DA over 'illegal' $US1 million daily giveaways
Elon Musk is facing accusations that he is running an illegal lottery.
In short:
Elon Musk is being sued by Philadelphia's district attorney over his $US1million daily election giveaways.
It is the first lawsuit brought over the sweepstakes, run by Mr Musk and his America PAC in an attempt to boost Donald Trump's campaign.
What next?
When asked about the lawsuit, Mr Musk's company responded with a link to a post on X showing the latest winner holding a cheque for a million dollars.
Elon Musk is being sued by Philadelphia's district attorney over his $US1 million ($1.5m) giveaways in support of Donald Trump's presidential campaign.
It is the first legal action to be brought over the billionaire tech mogul's America PAC and the sweepstakes offering $US1m every day until election day next week.
The office of Democratic District Attorney Larry Krasner said it was acting because it had the responsibility to protect the public from interference with the integrity of the election.
"The Philadelphia District Attorney is charged with protecting the public from public nuisances and unfair trade practices, including illegal lotteries," Mr Krasner's office said in a statement published on its website.
A spokesperson for Mr Musk's America PAC, who was emailed for comment, responded with a link to an X post, which showed the latest winner holding an oversized cheque.
Election law experts previously questioned whether the cheques could violate federal law, which bars anyone from paying a person to vote or register to vote.
However, the lawsuit makes clear that it is not about vote-buying. Instead, the district attorney says, the case centres on running a lottery.
"This case is very simple because America PAC and Musk are indisputably violating Pennsylvania's statutory prohibitions against illegal lotteries and deceiving consumers," the suit states.
Speaking in Delaware after casting his ballot on Monday, local time, President Joe Biden called the giveaway "totally inappropriate".
But people attending Mr Musk's events have a different view.
Michele Costantino, 64, a retired Pennsylvanian health care administrator, said she thought the giveaway was a "good idea".
"I think he's playing the same game as the other side," she said outside a Musk rally on Saturday.
"If you need to flash some big money to get people's attention, I think it's a good idea."
The giveaway requires entrants to sign a petition backing the First and Second Amendments of the Constitution and calls for them to serve as spokespeople for the organisation as a condition of winning.
Mr Musk has gone all in on Trump this election, saying he thinks civilisation is at stake if he loses.
He has committed more than $US70 million to the super PAC to help Trump and other Republicans win in November.
AP/ABC
By:ABC(责任编辑:admin)
下一篇:Israeli attacks on Lebanon threaten food supplies and long-term poverty, farming and aid groups warn
US election live: Donald
US election: Harris admit
Live updates: Donald Trum
Rio Tinto wants Serbia
Matildas beat Germany for
Donald Trump or Kamala Ha
- ·From Harris to Trump to Clinton, these
- ·Donald Trump is allowed to be Trump —
- ·New Zealand beats India 3-0 in Test ser
- ·Iga Świątek wins at WTA Finals in fir
- ·Thousands of troops to be sent to Valen
- ·Israel denies responsibility for drone
- ·Donald Trump could win the election, de
- ·US election live: Donald Trump alleges
- ·From Harris to Trump to Clinton, these ar
- ·Donald Trump is allowed to be Trump — b
- ·New Zealand beats India 3-0 in Test serie
- ·Iga Świątek wins at WTA Finals in first
- ·Thousands of troops to be sent to Valenci
- ·Israel denies responsibility for drone st
- ·Donald Trump could win the election, desp
- ·US election live: Donald Trump alleges po
- ·Moldovan government accuses Russia of
- ·How the US Electoral College can turn a l
- ·One of Vietnam's high-profile politi
- ·Shanghai Walmart Attack: A Man Randomly S
- ·South Korean police officers jailed over
- ·Cambodia publicly shames maid deported af
- ·North Korea to use all forces including n
- ·Philippines condemns China attack of Viet
- ·US adds 2 more Chinese companies to Uyghu
- ·North Korean defector steals South Korean
- ·Malaysia deports Cambodian worker for cal
- ·Rebels battle for Myanmar junta’s weste